I am an Office 365 subscriber and Excel runs nearly perfectly for me. Every issue I had with the software, I was able to solve by googling around, except this hair pulling glitch I am having (for a long time actually).
Whenever I try to format any cell containing a number (or NOT containing a number and receiving a number post-formatting) as Currency/Accounting, my cell will display like this:
To make it clear, the cell shown in the image contains the number 100 formatted as United States dollar. The cell type becomes Accounting, and if I try to use Currency, the same thing will happen. Even the samples available in Number Format options are displayed like this:
Parallel to that, I have a ton of weird custom number formats defined that seem incorrect. If I try to delete any of these custom number formats, Excel crashes. This happens even in Excel safe mode.
Things I attempted to solve the problem:
- Complete uninstallation and reinstallation of Office multiple times (Both using the built-in installer, Microsoft FixIt tool and third-party uninstallers);
- Searched for registry keys associated with Office and deleted them;
- Switched number formats under Windows;
- Googled everywhere for this problem, found a few mentions of the issue but with zero solution, including a thread on Microsoft's community forums. Tried registering there only to receive an error stating that "This action is not available right now" or something similar;
- Tried changing the default language used by Office;
- Tried to change the decimal separator in Advanced Settings, both using the "System separator" option and specifying a custom separator;
- As mentioned above, tried to use Excel safe mode, and the crashing bug will always persist;
- Tried also installing the 32 bit version of Office instead of the 64 bit version.
In my view this is a very rare problem that few people have faced, might be specific to my system. It doesn't look like the cause is within Office, but rather outside, somewhere in Windows. I have not succeeded in isolating it so far.
I am running Windows 8.1 Pro x64, with English (US) language but with a different language configuration for the keyboard layout. Any ideas?