I wanted to share this experience with all. I eventually fixed it, as explained in below own-answer.
Lately, I noticed that some operations on my Windows 7 box were becoming slower and slower as days go by. I specifically faced this:
- after having started a Java Web Start application (JWS): clicking some part of the GUI led to a delay before having the expected result.
- after having started an application from a remote Linux box, using X11 forwarding, thanks to an X server for Windows: as with JWS, actions were delayed. BTW, I faced it with different X servers for Windows, so the X server itself didn't seem to be in cause.
- upon launching an elevated operation: e.g. starting any application as Administrator. In that case, I faced a delay when the UAC window was displayed, with the message "Looking for credential tiles" lasting for a while.
In all above cases, I faced no actual delay just after having rebooted Windows, then the delay was increasing as days were going by. After 3 or 4 days, JWS or X11 forwarded apps were simply no longer usable due to delays above the minute. Similarly, after a few days, starting an elevated operation needed to wait for several minutes with the message ""Looking for credential tiles" until local Administrator account was proposed!
I investigated repeatedly to figure out what was causing such behaviors, knowing that it started once in the recent past (i.e. I wasn't facing this before):
- First, I thought about some malware: but my installed AV, Avast Free Antivirus, didn't find anything.
- Then I inventoried running services, stopped some, based on "personal suspicion" or based on what they were expecting to do. But no luck either.
- Did the same with installed apps: even uninstalled most of them. Still no luck.
So, I had to work with this "pain" for quite a while, rebooting when it was becoming too unbearable.